For Immediate Release
September 6, 2019
Livingston, New Jersey: The Asian American Coalition for Education (AACE) is pleased to announce our 2019 Essay Contest on the topic of “My American Dream ─ Equal Education Rights”. We encourage all fellow Asian Americans to participate in this competition to:
- Share your personal stories on how implicit racial quotas, racial stereotypes and higher admissions standards hinder your American Dream;
- Analyze the race-based admissions system (in both higher and K-12 education) as a multifaceted policy issue: its unique impacts on our communities, its effectiveness in helping “underrepresented” racial groups; and the integrity of its implementation
- Contribute to the understanding of educational fairness from your own perspectives;
- Use your experience, logic of reasoning and eloquent writing skills to make a difference;
- Win a generous prize!
Entering essays must be based on one of the following themes:
- Anti-Asian discrimination you have personally experienced, or observed when applying for quality K-12 schools, colleges, and/or graduate schools.
- Your views on race-based admissions vis-à-vis equal education rights: from a legal, and/or policy angel.
- The role of the Asian-American community in the current debate on this issue..
- Equal education rights, the American Dream and America’s future.
Please write an essay summarizing your position(s) and personal viewpoints on these pertinent questions. Both personal stories and opinion pieces will be accepted.
- First Place – $1,000 and Certificate
- Second Place – $600 and Certificate
- Third Place – $300 and Certificate
Eligibility: Asian Americans with stories to tell and opinions to share on aforementioned topics.
Deadline: Essays must be emailed or postmarked by November 15, 2019. (Three winning essays will be picked and the prizes will be announced on December 1, 2019).
- 800-1,500 words. Typed.
- Each essay must include: name (for those requiring anonymity, your identity will be protected with only your first name needed) and contact information.
- Entries should be original and free of plagiarism.
Judging Criteria: writing skills, clarity, authenticity, originality, grammar, logic and persuasion. (Submissions of personal stories/journeys will receive special attention.)
Submission: Email your essay to email@example.com and put “2019 Essay Contest” in the subject line. You can also mail your essay to AACE, P.O. Box 507, Livingston, NJ 07039.
Coaching Support: AACE provides coaching support for this essay contest to students who request it. Contact Ms. Swan Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. Wenyuan Wu at email@example.com.
Asian American Coalition for Education
About the AACE: www.asianamericanforeducation.org
The Asian American Coalition for Education (AACE) is a non-political, nonprofit, grassroots national organization, the proven leader in fighting for Asian-American children’s equal educational rights. On May 15, 2015, the founders of AACE united 64 Asian-American organizations and jointly filed a civil rights complaint with the Department of Education (DOE) and the Department of Justice (DOJ) to request that they conduct investigations into Harvard University’s discriminatory admissions practices against Asian-American applicants. As the largest joint action taken by Asian-American communities over the last few decades, this complaint is now being investigated by the Justice Department. Over the years, we have advanced the cause of equal education rights for the Asian-American community.